Skip to main content

Weird Names

One of the best things about Mumbo Jumbo by Ishmael Reed is the way Reed leaves the book so open ended. He intentionally uses weird grammar and syntax yet having no way to explain what they mean or what they imply. Reed brings up characters with no real meaning then leave us hanging by giving us no explanation as to why he put them in there. The characters' names are very weird and yet again, Reed offers no explanation as to why. I'm here to offer some solutions and test some theories out!

It almost seems as if Reed picks out really weird names in his book. There were multiple points in a reading where I stopped to pick up my phone and google something. To my amazement, every single thing I googled was true. On page 156, Reed references a man named Hepplewhite who made furniture. Sure enough, there actually was a man named Hepplewhite who made cabinets and he even has a wikipedia page. On that same page, I also fact checked Lackawanna New York and Countee Cullen. I'm not sure if I'm just uneducated but those were real things too! I've come to the conclusion that Reed picks the most unusual people and places to put into his book. While I may be uneducated in black culture, I feel like a place called Lackawanna is still a weird name to have.

On another thought, I was skimming through page 157 and noticed how weirdly sarcastic Reed is. For example, he uses a lot of exclamation points and prolongs some of his words. Specifically, "On one side of her is Hinckle Von Vampton and on the other... the Talking Android!!". Reading this in my head made it sound really sarcastic. I wonder if Reed is trying to mock white supremacists/Atonists by using such grammar. I haven't found an instance where Reed does this with the Mutafikah or main POC characters and I'd be curious to see if anyone else has. If not, this totally changes my perception of the book and Reed.

On another unrelated thought, yesterday I brought up in class the way Reed uses names of main characters in the books to make fun of them. For example, all the Atonists have names that somewhat reference strength or purity, like Thor and Hubert "Safecracker" Gould. Safecracker almost sounds like a white person (cracker) who is safe from justice or jurisdiction from what he does to black people (safe). With Thor, I think Reed makes fun of him by naming him after a really strong Norse God who is almost invincible. However, Thor succumbs to white supremacy by Musclewhite which completely goes against what he's named after. This brings up another weird name, Musclewhite. Musclewhite uses his muscles (persuasion) to show Thor that white supremacy is "good" and "better" which plays off the "white" in his name. Let me know if you have any other ideas!

Comments

  1. I agree. I think the grammar that Reed uses is super weird, but in your example, it helps prove his point. It reminded me of a quote about the Jes Grew texts on page 47: "Their writings were banished...or sprinkled with typos as a way of undermining their credibility." If the Wallflower Order added these typos that make Jes Grew texts sound bad (assuming that this is a Jes Grew text), that further highlights the failures of the Atonists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To add on to your observation, I believe that Reed's exaggeration of names helps present the Atonist characters in the book not only as two-dimensional, but their beliefs as well. For example, when Biff Musclewhite persuades Thor that as a white man it is his duty to continue the "great history" (of oppression, etc.) we see that Biff's reasoning for his Atonist views are as two-dimensional as his role -- an enforcer in the center for art detention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know what really confused me? There is both a Talking Android and an actual Android! It took me a couple chapters to realize that they weren't the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The names throughout the novel are very interesting, especially those of the white people! I feel like giving the Atonists these weird names sort of goes along with Reed's goal to make us view them as ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snacks

This is a short list of my favorite snacks: 1. Apples and peanut butter. This one is an all time favorite especially in the fall and winter seasons. My favorite apple is honeycrisp which tastes even better when thinly sliced and cold. I'm fairly lax about the type of peanut butter I eat but it's mostly been either Trader Joe's roasted peanut butter or Jif natural peanut butter. Although CU does not have a Trader Joe's, my mom always stocks up and buys 5 or 6 jars when we go to TJ. Out of all the peanut butter brands I've tried, the Trader Joe's one always tastes like real peanuts and is very smooth, perfectly dippable for apples. 2. Greek yogurt with fruit, granola, and honey. I'm aware this one is a staple in most households and isn't too surprising to appear on this list, but I've recently gotten very into it. I really enjoy greek yogurt by this brand that looks very Greek (I can't remember the name) mostly because it doesn't taste chal...

I'm Done.

During the summer, I was dreading to begin senior year. The thought of stepping foot inside Uni made me cringe, trying to brace myself for the oncoming stress of school, social life, sleep, and swimming. Now that I'm decently into senior year, I can assure you that I'm somewhat trying to cherish my last year with my friends and team. But recently, just like Kylie Jenner said once, I started to realize stuff that I didn't before. To start off, I can't believe I'll be done with high school. It's so crazy that I'm already a senior when it felt like only yesterday that I was starting subbie year. The first day of senior year was such a weird day. I had practice in the morning like usual, but only this time my mom got up before me to wish me luck on my last day and give me an extra hug. I remember standing there hugging her back thinking "This is kinda weird mom stop getting so emotional.". Now it's five/six weeks into school and I'm the one a...

Short/Long

While reading Ragtime, I've noticed that Doctorow uses a combination of very short and very long sentences. While the prose seems choppy and disconnected at times, it reflects what's going on in the plot and conveys emotions. For example, on page 51, there are two sentences that particularly stand out as being very short or very long. "It was an important event." Here Doctorow uses a punchy short sentence to deliver an important and powerful fact. The length reflects the fact making it seem more real and powerful. A sentence later, Doctorow uses a particularly long sentence. "Carefully Tateh explained that although he was unalterably opposed to Goldman, she being an anarchist and be a socialist, he had great respect for her personal courage and integrity; and that he had therefore agreed that some sort of temporary accord between the socialists and the anarchists was advisable, if only for the evening, because the funds raised for the occasion would go to sup...