Skip to main content

"So it goes"

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut is definitely my favorite novel that we've read so far. Unlike the other novels, Slaughterhouse-Five seems more believable and real. It's way easier to follow and understand (or maybe that's just because we're reading it right after Mumbo Jumbo). It's gut wrenching and crazy even if I'm unable to relate to anything that's happening. While I'm sitting there thinking about how messed up all the characters are in the book, there seems to be a certain phrase popping up all the time after the worst scenarios I've ever read about.

"So it goes" It seems after every time a person dies, Vonnegut uses the phrase. I've noticed it doesn't really matter how the person dies, whether in war or of natural causes, they're all treated the same. This keeps in line with Billy Pilgrim's "whatever" or nonchalant attitude. The phrase could also reflect Tralfamadorian idea that even though a person is dead, they could still be living in different time periods. I thought that was super interesting because a phrase, that doesn't seem like it means much, suddenly connects so many different ideas together in the novel. The number of times "So it goes" is mentioned through out the novel can also be related to how inevitable death is. Instead of discussing the idea of death and how everyone dies, "So it goes" almost takes over that job by reminding the reader of the inevitability of death quickly and easily.

Another cool thing about this book is how many different genres it encompasses. Having science-fictional elements mixed in with historical fiction doesn’t seem like it should belong to either category. However Vonnegut does add in a comical voice whenever something really serious happens.The best example of using a comical voice is when we are told about the performance by British POWs of a Cinderella pantomime and how Billy ends up dressed in a coat with a furry collar that is way too small for him along with high heeled boots. It’s almost as if war has become a bad piece of theater too. However later there are direct statements by President Truman and the essay by Air Marshal Saundby. By bringing these two voices together, Slaughterhouse-5 exemplifies how diverse and uncentered the novel is. Therefore, it can absorb different sorts of knowledge and ideological viewpoints and can adapt a whole rang of genres.


Comments

  1. Nice post! After reading Slaughterhouse Five, the "So it goes" phrase was something that really stuck out to me and your points about it helped me figure out why it was so significant to me. The Tralfamadorian worldview was something deep rooted in the novel so it makes sense that Vonnegut would constantly use of "So it goes", as death and its implications are major themes in the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snacks

This is a short list of my favorite snacks: 1. Apples and peanut butter. This one is an all time favorite especially in the fall and winter seasons. My favorite apple is honeycrisp which tastes even better when thinly sliced and cold. I'm fairly lax about the type of peanut butter I eat but it's mostly been either Trader Joe's roasted peanut butter or Jif natural peanut butter. Although CU does not have a Trader Joe's, my mom always stocks up and buys 5 or 6 jars when we go to TJ. Out of all the peanut butter brands I've tried, the Trader Joe's one always tastes like real peanuts and is very smooth, perfectly dippable for apples. 2. Greek yogurt with fruit, granola, and honey. I'm aware this one is a staple in most households and isn't too surprising to appear on this list, but I've recently gotten very into it. I really enjoy greek yogurt by this brand that looks very Greek (I can't remember the name) mostly because it doesn't taste chal...

I'm Done.

During the summer, I was dreading to begin senior year. The thought of stepping foot inside Uni made me cringe, trying to brace myself for the oncoming stress of school, social life, sleep, and swimming. Now that I'm decently into senior year, I can assure you that I'm somewhat trying to cherish my last year with my friends and team. But recently, just like Kylie Jenner said once, I started to realize stuff that I didn't before. To start off, I can't believe I'll be done with high school. It's so crazy that I'm already a senior when it felt like only yesterday that I was starting subbie year. The first day of senior year was such a weird day. I had practice in the morning like usual, but only this time my mom got up before me to wish me luck on my last day and give me an extra hug. I remember standing there hugging her back thinking "This is kinda weird mom stop getting so emotional.". Now it's five/six weeks into school and I'm the one a...

Short/Long

While reading Ragtime, I've noticed that Doctorow uses a combination of very short and very long sentences. While the prose seems choppy and disconnected at times, it reflects what's going on in the plot and conveys emotions. For example, on page 51, there are two sentences that particularly stand out as being very short or very long. "It was an important event." Here Doctorow uses a punchy short sentence to deliver an important and powerful fact. The length reflects the fact making it seem more real and powerful. A sentence later, Doctorow uses a particularly long sentence. "Carefully Tateh explained that although he was unalterably opposed to Goldman, she being an anarchist and be a socialist, he had great respect for her personal courage and integrity; and that he had therefore agreed that some sort of temporary accord between the socialists and the anarchists was advisable, if only for the evening, because the funds raised for the occasion would go to sup...