Skip to main content

Gabi vs Ema

A lot of people think my sister Gabi and I are the same. They say we have the same looks, the same expressions, the same reactions, and basically everything the same. Nothing gets more on our nerves than getting mixed up, especially when our parents do it.

A very small part of me understands why people get us mixed up. We look about the same height and we both swam, hence the broad shoulders and somewhat muscular bodies.

But other than that, I cannot nor do not understand why people mix us up. I agree that we have our similarities but those similarities aren't obvious to people who don't know us that well. We look absolutely nothing alike. I have my father's nose while Gabi has my mother's nose. She also has a nose ring, whereas I would probably never get a nose ring. Her eyes are smaller and her face more square like. Mine are big and I have a long face characterized with a large nose. She also has very nice teeth that I'm super jealous of. I never had braces which gives me pride, but my two front teeth are almost like buckteeth unlike Gabi's perfect set. She has dark brown hair that's super thin, while I have thick chestnut hair with blonde highlights. I have my mother's hips and large thighs whereas Gabi has slender legs and no hips. Our body proportions aren't similar at all. Moreover, Gabi dresses with a sense of style and always looks good for the occasion. I, on the other hand, don't have a style and always dress down for the occasion.

Besides just physical differences, Gabi and I have very different mindsets and personalities. The biggest one I can think of is the way we respond to challenges. For example, when I'm presented a challenging problem in math, I like to stare at it and work my way through it. It might take me more than 10 minutes to do it but I'd rather figure it out on my own than ask for help. Gabi, on the other hand, isn't afraid to ask for help. If she doesn't understand the problem within the first 2 minutes of looking at it, she'll either ask for help or give up. She learns better with someone guiding her while I learn better through trial and error. Some other differences between us is our social skills. Gabi can make friends instantly (which is something I'm super jealous of). It takes me forever to make friends because I'm often worrying about my first impression or what they think of me. She can warm up to new people in a matter of seconds, whereas I take at least a few days. In a way, Gabi is much more free spirited too. She doesn't care what other people think of her but still tries to please people (probably for the feeling of external gratitude). I don't care to please people but I worry all the time about what others think of me. Another big difference is our appreciation for people. Gabi is the best about remembering what I'm doing and where I am, as well as sending me cute packages for my birthday and other holidays. I suck at this. I never remember people's birthdays, nor does it fall into my mind to send someone a card or buy a present for them. Therefore, Gabi is such a sweet person and I tend to not be so sweet.

I'll never understand how people can mix Gabi and I up. We mutually agree that we do not look anything alike to each other, but I guess the rest of the world seems to think so. Maybe next time when someone mistakes me for Gabi and asks how IU is, I'll just go along with it and pretend to be my sister.

Comments

  1. I like how you explain what features of Gabi's personality or body you are jealous of and what you really appreciate about your own quirks because I can definitely relate to those feelings with Rahi. I think having a sibling, especially one you are very close to allows one to be more self-aware because you're constantly observing what they do and comparing it to yourself. And so, often I think siblings learn to adopt the best habits of both and strive to become the best versions of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The differences you point out do a good job of clearly and concisely illustrating your point of how you are not similar. The way you describe these differences is well crafted because you don't go on to say how you wish you were like her, but instead reflect on what you do well and what she does well which is a nice, heartwarming touch, especially because comparing yourself to others leaves room for self deprecation. I like the conclusion because it feels like you've accepted being confused for your sister and you don't take it that seriously, and it adds to the lighthearted feel of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a thoughtful post with a ton of great detail. I love how upfront you are about the qualities you like of your own and your sister's, and also the qualities of each of you that you're less crazy about. But you have an engaging way of discussing even the qualities you see as less desirable with a refreshingly straightforward tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's really interesting how you describe your sister in comparison to yourself, especially since you are the younger sibling. It would be interesting to see a similar work written by your sister and looking at how she sees you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snacks

This is a short list of my favorite snacks: 1. Apples and peanut butter. This one is an all time favorite especially in the fall and winter seasons. My favorite apple is honeycrisp which tastes even better when thinly sliced and cold. I'm fairly lax about the type of peanut butter I eat but it's mostly been either Trader Joe's roasted peanut butter or Jif natural peanut butter. Although CU does not have a Trader Joe's, my mom always stocks up and buys 5 or 6 jars when we go to TJ. Out of all the peanut butter brands I've tried, the Trader Joe's one always tastes like real peanuts and is very smooth, perfectly dippable for apples. 2. Greek yogurt with fruit, granola, and honey. I'm aware this one is a staple in most households and isn't too surprising to appear on this list, but I've recently gotten very into it. I really enjoy greek yogurt by this brand that looks very Greek (I can't remember the name) mostly because it doesn't taste chal...

I'm Done.

During the summer, I was dreading to begin senior year. The thought of stepping foot inside Uni made me cringe, trying to brace myself for the oncoming stress of school, social life, sleep, and swimming. Now that I'm decently into senior year, I can assure you that I'm somewhat trying to cherish my last year with my friends and team. But recently, just like Kylie Jenner said once, I started to realize stuff that I didn't before. To start off, I can't believe I'll be done with high school. It's so crazy that I'm already a senior when it felt like only yesterday that I was starting subbie year. The first day of senior year was such a weird day. I had practice in the morning like usual, but only this time my mom got up before me to wish me luck on my last day and give me an extra hug. I remember standing there hugging her back thinking "This is kinda weird mom stop getting so emotional.". Now it's five/six weeks into school and I'm the one a...

Short/Long

While reading Ragtime, I've noticed that Doctorow uses a combination of very short and very long sentences. While the prose seems choppy and disconnected at times, it reflects what's going on in the plot and conveys emotions. For example, on page 51, there are two sentences that particularly stand out as being very short or very long. "It was an important event." Here Doctorow uses a punchy short sentence to deliver an important and powerful fact. The length reflects the fact making it seem more real and powerful. A sentence later, Doctorow uses a particularly long sentence. "Carefully Tateh explained that although he was unalterably opposed to Goldman, she being an anarchist and be a socialist, he had great respect for her personal courage and integrity; and that he had therefore agreed that some sort of temporary accord between the socialists and the anarchists was advisable, if only for the evening, because the funds raised for the occasion would go to sup...