Skip to main content

Team

When you walk down the hallways of Uni, you tend to notice that a lot of the lockers have bright and colorful posters on them. If you look closer, you can see the posters have inspirational quotes or memes for whatever sport that person is in. To me, those posters are what makes being on a high school team feel like an actual team. It's weird to say that getting posters from someone you don't know makes your team feel like an actual team but I have my reasons.

Before joining the swim team, I didn't know much about "having a team" or "team chemistry". I swam (and still do) with Heat and I love the people on it but it doesn't feel like a team. I train by myself a lot and travel to meets by myself usually without a coach. Going to a meet alone doesn't sound too awful until you get there and you're surrounded by teams who wear the same jacket, have coaches, cheer for each other, and get super excited when their teammates do well. I just didn't have that (and I still don't with Heat). I didn't know what it felt like to come back to a team area, receive multiple high fives and hugs, and see all your teammates super excited for you. It's something I've always been jealous of when I go to meets alone.

So I joined the Uni High swim team for one sole purpose: for the team aspect. I wasn't going to join the team at all, but when the previous coach got fired and Coach Dave got hired, I thought the swim team was worth a try. I'll never forget the first meet as a Uni High swimmer. I swam in a relay (which I haven't done since I was 8 or 9) and with every stroke I took, I heard cheers and screaming. On the turn, I looked up and saw my teammates screaming at me and jumping up and down. I remember swimming the second 25 of that 50 breast in the 200 medley relay with a huge smile on my face, not even caring if I swam fast or not. The fact that I heard cheers for ME and saw people waving their arms like maniacs for ME was so weird. It made me feel so honored and special to be on the Uni High swim team. I knew that it didn't even matter how fast I swam because the team would always have my back (even if I get DQed). I've been on the high school team for four years now and I still sometimes get misty eyed when I see the entire team wearing the same team shirt that I am.

This brings me back to the motivational posters and secret buddies. Secret buddies is such an amazing way to show team support for each other. By being on a high school team, you already get the privilege of having a team but secret buddies makes that team support so much more intimate. As a captain on the team, it's partly my responsibility to implement secret buddies and make sure everyone has one. As the Uni swim team can tell you, I get really into making sure everyone gets at least a motivational poster (if not food too) every meet. It might not seem like much, but getting secret buddy posters are without a doubt the highlight of the day. Personally, I don't even care if my secret buddy doesn't give me food, I just want the motivational poster. It honestly makes me so sad when I get texts from my teammates telling me that they haven't gotten anything from their secret buddy because I know all too well how it feels to not share that team aspect. I haven't gotten anything from my secret buddy for quite a while which makes me pretty sad. But I'd rather this be happening to me instead of someone else on the team because I don't want them to feel forgotten and left out. A week ago, a girl on the team (who shall remain nameless for the sake of her privacy) heard me getting agro about it and offered to be my secret buddy. In the moment, I thanked her profusely and told her that it was okay and that she didn't need to do it. But later that night when I went home after practice, I cried about it. It seemed so stupid to cry about it, but I was so touched by her generosity and casual-ness. I understand if it seems stupid to anyone reading this long post, because you guys haven't gone to long 5 day meets by yourself and sat by yourself with no one cheering you on or even telling you good job. It sucks and feels like your hard work doesn't matter but that's exactly why I love my high school team so much. It's so special and I'll never forget being on a team as close knit as this one.

Long Live Norm <3

Comments

  1. RIP Norm, but long live the amazing Uni swim team. I think you're definitely right that the best part is how close and supportive everyone is. Even in the grossest pool or during the most difficult set, you know that the whole team is there with you and it makes it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post, and I totally understand the team element in sports you talk about. I only play on the tennis team, and we don't have posters or secret buddies or anything really, but we still travel to meets and ride in vans and cheer each other on. Once in a while, I still have to play a singles tournament, and I'm completely alone surrounded by strangers and it sucks. It's much more fun when you can share the moment and experience with other people who are care. I hope your secret buddy starts bringing you more gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I agree that the actual "team" aspect of being on a sports team is very important and makes it worthwhile. I can relate to your perspective on swimming for Heat, because when I swam for them, not only was I trash, but it never really felt like I was part of a team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you have experienced what having a team feels like. The support is definitely great motivation and makes you feel good inside. I think the team aspect is something that is unique at Uni because we are a small school and are able to do secret buddies. I can say that even though I have always been on a team sport, it never really felt like a team and when I came to Uni, I got a more supportive team-like experience. I, too, love having a secret buddy. Reading the posters that people create for me makes me even more eager for the game. All I really care about are the posters, the food is just a plus. I love to look back at the posters because they make me laugh and feel great, even if we don't have a game. Just seeing the positive energy and support is amazing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snacks

This is a short list of my favorite snacks: 1. Apples and peanut butter. This one is an all time favorite especially in the fall and winter seasons. My favorite apple is honeycrisp which tastes even better when thinly sliced and cold. I'm fairly lax about the type of peanut butter I eat but it's mostly been either Trader Joe's roasted peanut butter or Jif natural peanut butter. Although CU does not have a Trader Joe's, my mom always stocks up and buys 5 or 6 jars when we go to TJ. Out of all the peanut butter brands I've tried, the Trader Joe's one always tastes like real peanuts and is very smooth, perfectly dippable for apples. 2. Greek yogurt with fruit, granola, and honey. I'm aware this one is a staple in most households and isn't too surprising to appear on this list, but I've recently gotten very into it. I really enjoy greek yogurt by this brand that looks very Greek (I can't remember the name) mostly because it doesn't taste chal...

I'm Done.

During the summer, I was dreading to begin senior year. The thought of stepping foot inside Uni made me cringe, trying to brace myself for the oncoming stress of school, social life, sleep, and swimming. Now that I'm decently into senior year, I can assure you that I'm somewhat trying to cherish my last year with my friends and team. But recently, just like Kylie Jenner said once, I started to realize stuff that I didn't before. To start off, I can't believe I'll be done with high school. It's so crazy that I'm already a senior when it felt like only yesterday that I was starting subbie year. The first day of senior year was such a weird day. I had practice in the morning like usual, but only this time my mom got up before me to wish me luck on my last day and give me an extra hug. I remember standing there hugging her back thinking "This is kinda weird mom stop getting so emotional.". Now it's five/six weeks into school and I'm the one a...

Short/Long

While reading Ragtime, I've noticed that Doctorow uses a combination of very short and very long sentences. While the prose seems choppy and disconnected at times, it reflects what's going on in the plot and conveys emotions. For example, on page 51, there are two sentences that particularly stand out as being very short or very long. "It was an important event." Here Doctorow uses a punchy short sentence to deliver an important and powerful fact. The length reflects the fact making it seem more real and powerful. A sentence later, Doctorow uses a particularly long sentence. "Carefully Tateh explained that although he was unalterably opposed to Goldman, she being an anarchist and be a socialist, he had great respect for her personal courage and integrity; and that he had therefore agreed that some sort of temporary accord between the socialists and the anarchists was advisable, if only for the evening, because the funds raised for the occasion would go to sup...