Skip to main content

Menu

I've always been pretty into food and the idea of flavors. It seems like a weird thing to be fascinated with but the more I travel and taste different flavors around the world, the bigger this hobby or mere interest becomes. I'm guessing this interest started when I was young. My family is Croatian and we are continuously surrounded by European/Balkan food at home and place a heavy emphasis on eating real food, not junk or heavily processed. Somewhere along the way, I became interested in eating food for the flavors, not just for the purpose of eating to feel full. My dad probably cultivated this out of me. He's always on his phone looking up cool places to eat, ordering the strangest of seafood, and encouraging me to taste different flavors. Whatever I don't eat or deem too weird, my dad finishes it off shaking his head at me for being too "boring".

The memory that always comes to mind when I think of strange food would be when I was 8. My family was in Beijing for vacation and for my dad's work conference. I remember this one day when we were walking along a street full of food venders when my dad stopped to buy something. My sister Gabi and I were in awe of the amount of food the street venders were selling and we kept ourselves busy by pointing out the coolest food on the street. Moments later my dad came back holding a stick with snake skin. Gabi's and I's mouths dropped open, our eyes widening as my dad began munching on the skin. "It's really quite good" my dad said, trying to convince my mom, who was beside herself, that the skin was worth the money. Eating snake skin had never crossed any of our minds and seemed to be the weirdest thing you could eat until my dad wanted to buy a fried tarantula.

The snake skin and tarantula always remind me of "normalcy". It's weird to think that some people think what I eat is weird. Whenever I go back to Croatia, I see the "normal" things I eat, like poli or mlince. God forbid me explaining anything I eat in Croatia that's not found in the US because people always find some way to make a disgusted face. But I'm not much better either. For example, I think marshmallows on top of sweet potato is the worst combination of food I've ever tasted. Why put fake tasting sweet stuff on top of already sweet carbs? To me, it doesn't make sense.

Comments

  1. You make a really good point about the definition of normal. Because each society/culture has a different one. In the united states, for example, at least 50% of people hate mayonnaise, but in the region that my mom grew up (Baku, Azerbaijan) mayonnaise was such a delicacy that 99/100 times the stores were all sold out, and she lived in the biggest city in the country.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snacks

This is a short list of my favorite snacks: 1. Apples and peanut butter. This one is an all time favorite especially in the fall and winter seasons. My favorite apple is honeycrisp which tastes even better when thinly sliced and cold. I'm fairly lax about the type of peanut butter I eat but it's mostly been either Trader Joe's roasted peanut butter or Jif natural peanut butter. Although CU does not have a Trader Joe's, my mom always stocks up and buys 5 or 6 jars when we go to TJ. Out of all the peanut butter brands I've tried, the Trader Joe's one always tastes like real peanuts and is very smooth, perfectly dippable for apples. 2. Greek yogurt with fruit, granola, and honey. I'm aware this one is a staple in most households and isn't too surprising to appear on this list, but I've recently gotten very into it. I really enjoy greek yogurt by this brand that looks very Greek (I can't remember the name) mostly because it doesn't taste chal...

I'm Done.

During the summer, I was dreading to begin senior year. The thought of stepping foot inside Uni made me cringe, trying to brace myself for the oncoming stress of school, social life, sleep, and swimming. Now that I'm decently into senior year, I can assure you that I'm somewhat trying to cherish my last year with my friends and team. But recently, just like Kylie Jenner said once, I started to realize stuff that I didn't before. To start off, I can't believe I'll be done with high school. It's so crazy that I'm already a senior when it felt like only yesterday that I was starting subbie year. The first day of senior year was such a weird day. I had practice in the morning like usual, but only this time my mom got up before me to wish me luck on my last day and give me an extra hug. I remember standing there hugging her back thinking "This is kinda weird mom stop getting so emotional.". Now it's five/six weeks into school and I'm the one a...

Short/Long

While reading Ragtime, I've noticed that Doctorow uses a combination of very short and very long sentences. While the prose seems choppy and disconnected at times, it reflects what's going on in the plot and conveys emotions. For example, on page 51, there are two sentences that particularly stand out as being very short or very long. "It was an important event." Here Doctorow uses a punchy short sentence to deliver an important and powerful fact. The length reflects the fact making it seem more real and powerful. A sentence later, Doctorow uses a particularly long sentence. "Carefully Tateh explained that although he was unalterably opposed to Goldman, she being an anarchist and be a socialist, he had great respect for her personal courage and integrity; and that he had therefore agreed that some sort of temporary accord between the socialists and the anarchists was advisable, if only for the evening, because the funds raised for the occasion would go to sup...