Yesterday (April 21) we had a brief discussion over the end of BlackSwanGreen, specifically how Jason feels about the move and how Julia helps him deal with it. Coming from a personal standpoint, I wanted to say how well Jason is dealing with this. Jason was me a few months ago, after my parents broke the news that we would be moving to Texas from Illinois (granted, this was move was a little bit bigger than Jason’s move and came at a terrible time for my family). But while reading the last chapter of BlackSwanGreen, I could completely relate to Jason’s feelings 100%.
In a way, the last chapter of BlackSwanGreen mirrors my life. First, Jason will be living with his mom only and has the opportunity to visit his dad. Although my parents are getting divorced, I will be living with only my mom for a year and will have the opportunity to visit my dad during breaks and extended weekends. Secondly, Jason and I both have an older sister who can relate to what we are going through and offer support. Julia and Gabi (my sister) both not only are in college and can relate to the feeling of not having a central home, but they both offer support by just talking and relating their experiences to Jason and I’s. Thirdly, the idea of moving to a new place with a new school and no friends is something Jason and I can connect with. In the last chapter, Jason seems to be reminiscing about Black Swan Green and just noticing little things (like conversations) which is something I catch myself doing a lot. It’s the little things that define your life in a certain place, not just the people you surround yourself with.
The last chapter of BlackSwanGreen seemed sad and melancholy. Yet, in class we discussed how this was a happy ending to Jason’s coming of age story (or at least part of it). I can definitely see how Jason’s coming of age story ends on a happy note. The book begins with “January Man” and ends with the same chapter title. It’s almost like Jason completed growing up in Black Swan Green and needs to do the whole process over again in his new home. This whole re-do of the coming of age process that Jason needs to do in his new home kinda sucks for him and I think adds a touch of melancholy to the end of the book. I think the end of the chapter had a sense of Jason’s sadness presented through his narration style. We didn’t get much dialogue and it didn’t feel as lively as the rest of the book. Once again, Jason does a wonderful job of communicating his feelings into the book which then translates through to the reader! However, Jason does get that clean fresh start so also adds an element of happiness and almost relief to the end leaving me pretty satisfied with the book.
BlackSwanGreen was a great and lively book. Although it did make me cry at the end, the book gave a sense of life and uplifting vibes to the past two weeks of school. Thanks Jason for letting us in during a small but significant part of your life.
I have had a similar experience to Jason toward the end of the novel. My parents totally had a falling out about a year ago and although they were already divorced it got reaaallly intense at this time of year last year. The same kind of tension and discomfort Jason senses in BSG in the final chapters is something I can relate to. I dont think this is really very similar to moving, though. I guess theyre the same in that Jason's life is always moving forward and so are ours? Everything is a lot better now for me, I bet youll make plenty of new friends at your new home!
ReplyDeleteThe tone at the end of _BSG_ is pretty complex, for me too. There is a strong sense in which it's clear that Jason has made all kinds of significant growth over the year, enjoying a number of important triumphs in the final chapters specifically. And yet *he* is in such a gloomy mood as he bids "au revoir to Black Swan Green" that it's hard for the reader not to share it. I think part of the difficulty, for readers who've really enjoyed the book and who like Jason and Julia and want to follow more of their story, there's a related kind of sadness with a relationship ending--we are saying goodbye to _Black Swan Green_ the book at the same time as Jason says goodbye to the village. Goodbyes are sad, because they remind us of the impermanence of all things: Jason's time in BSG hasn't been all (or even mostly) fun, but *leaving* it represents a whole other prospect.
ReplyDeleteI understand this, being able to understand Jason and see what he is thinking makes this so much more powerful. I find your parallel interesting as a way to empathize with him, and wonder if that is what made the ending so sad for you.
ReplyDeleteI certainly didn't find the ending that sad, he was more moving into a new chapter of his life. While he was leaving all his progress, he would keep his lessons, which was the most important part.
DeleteAs someone who's never really had to deal with moving and not having a central home, I enjoyed hearing how your feelings relate with jason's. I can only imagine what it's like being forced to uproot everything you know with only a sibling who understands what you're going through. It's really interesting to think about and good luck with your move and family situation!
ReplyDelete